Friday 14 January 2011

Recipe to health

Poliana is happy to live on green smoothies, fruits, nuts and more smoothies, flax crackers and veggies. she likes to have things as they are, without processing.

So do I, but I also like to eat more elaborate things... meals "foody stuff" like a cocked diet offers... So every so often I make something.

I don't use recipes, and I don't usually write them down.

so this time I thought I would write down a recipe for you. I am making it as I write, and as I find ingredients to put in.

I am making a "Spicy Thai Coconut Curry" with "noodles"

Noodles:
2 Carrots
1 cucumber
use a peeler to make strips of the carrot and the cucumber. then toss together in a bowl, and put to the side. if you have a mandolin you can use it, the smaller and thinner strips you make the better it will be.

Dice the cucumber seed house (the centre) and any cucumber bits you get over and put to the side, we'll add them to the curry later for a bit of exciting texture.

The Curry:
1 whole coconut
open the nut and put the coconut water and coconut meat in a blender. add perhaps 3 glasses of water and start blending (for a good 3 minutes, until it is liquid, and smooth). pour your mixture through a sieve to separate the pulp from the liquid.
you will use the liquid. put the pulp to the side (we'll use it for a simple desert).



Back to the blender, you have your coconut sauce, now it's just to add the spices you like.
I am adding:
One onion
2 Garlic cloves
1 inch Ginger
1 lemon grass leaf
the zest from one lime and a bit of lime juice
touch of cayenne pepper
touch of Curry powder
hint of cinnamon
the seeds from 2 tomatoes (cut up tomatoes and put to side, will also be used for texture a bit later)
blend, and spice to your liking.
add salt to taste (Himalayan rock salt)
if you have fresh chilly, add a bit of that, cumin, turmeric and a bit of coriander would also be nice. Anyway, you know what you like, so use your own imagination and spice to your liking.

That's it, now you can thicken the sauce if you like, this can be done with a bit of avocado or a bit of flax seeds (soaked in water for 6 hours). I used avocado, aprox. 3 spoons. but you thicken to your own liking. Avocado softens your spices, so you might want to sample again, and make final adjustments to the flavour.

Then you add your bits (cucumber, tomatoes and I will also add small bits of Charlotte onions, and you are done.
If you have fresh pineapple, add a bit of that, it will make it even better.

We are done, fast and simple now all you have to do is put on a plate and eat.

This is gourmet and healthy.

Remember the coconut pulp?
Well I mixed it with a bit of raw vanilla honey and I mashed in the rest of the avocado as well as some coconut oil and a pinch of cinnamon; mixed it with a fork (mashed the avo etc.) and put in the fridge... ready to eat when I want a sweet treat.


Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment